Second Chance champions the cause of passions that fizzled out with the passage of time, drowned in life’s mundane responsibilities yet somehow have crept back into those very lives and whetted our appetite to nurture and realise our dreams again. Second Chance is not a group or organisation but a concept that urges us all to give ourselves a second chance we deserve to pursue the one thing that makes us come alive.
Second Chance aims to bring together adult performers who either have taken up formal training in the performing arts at a stage later than ‘usual’ or have returned to it when they found their calling.
Soham 2021 embraces the Power of Self. In a world rife with competition and strictly sticking to business, Soham underlines the importance, recognition and acceptance of what makes our true selves despite obstacles within and outside of us. It aims to present a performing space and opportunity for all those who have rejuvenated their interest in Indian classical dance or music as keen performers, but find very limited opportunities mainly due to restrictions on age or due to schedules that are hard to keep up with the routine of essential responsibilities. The aims of the festival are two fold:
- Allow you to embrace your art form in a performer’s space and showcase your story of Second Chance, therefore redefining the intent of pursuing arts, not limited by conventional yardsticks.
- To create an awareness of the presence of an often-disregarded cohort of performers merely on the basis of age. The inclusion criteria for many festivals, shows and even resources at large, are not only based on training and stage but equally in the quest for ‘young dancers’ as defined by chronological age. Soham defies the logic of age and believes in revelling in the joy of the moment rather than the years gone by.
Making its debut on a virtual stage, Soham showcases those non-stereotypical journeys in artistic pursuit that translate into a celebration of life, a celebration of self and therefore a celebration of the art form in its true spirit. For in this, we believe thrives creative and artistic satisfaction that is surreal, sustainable and serendipitous.
Registration and Audition
Registration and Audition Details
The festival, will debut on a virtual platform and will run over four Saturdays of April, beginning 3 of April 2021. Details of broadcast will be issued closer to time.
The timeline for Soham is as follows:
31.1.2021: Registration of interest closes
7.2.2021: Audition deadline.
21.2.21: Final participation confirmed
28.2.21: Virtual meeting of participants, Second Chance and Upasana Arts
21.3.21: Final performance videos submission
3.4.2021: Soham – Virtual Festival begins.
Requirements for audition clips
Length of clip: up to 5 minutes to include
- A concise version of your story of Second Chance in any form – written or videoed. This festival is as much about your journey as is about the art forms itself. (100 words or video up to 2 minutes long)
- Performance – need not be your final performance piece
- Music 3-4 minutes or
- Dance 3-4 minutes
The videos should be uploaded as unlisted (not private) Youtube videos. The link to the uploaded Youtube Videos should be pasted into the link box in the submission form.
Requirements for final performance video
For the final performance,
- Your story- again in your chosen mode- up to 5 minutes long
- Music performance- 6-8 minutes
- Dance performance 8-10 minutes
You can choose the number of pieces you would like to showcase.
The final performance videos must reach us by the 21 March 2021.
The videos should be uploaded as unlisted Youtube videos. The link to the uploaded Youtube Videos should be pasted into the link box in the submission form.
Soham Registration Form (submit by 31 January 2021)
Soham Audition Form (submit by 7 February 2021)
Terms & Conditions
- By participating in the virtual festival you give us your implicit consent to content being shared on social media.
- As a registering participant, Second Chance and Upasana Arts will use your details to contact you with regard to Soham and subsequently for any further undertakings.
- Due to the nature of the platform, children strictly cannot be participants in the final performance. However, Second Chance acknowledges the impact a supportive family can have and hence they can be a part of ‘your story’ videos. The discretion to air it will be that of the organisers.
- You confirm no participation of children (under the age of 16).
- You understand the vision and ethos of Second Chance.
- You will keep up and meet the above outlined timelines and requirements for the purposes of the smooth execution of the festival in its debut year.
- Please make sure that you have permission to use the music for your dance piece.